Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pics as Promised


Cheers! We're in our new place. :)













Ben (PE), Ashley (grade 2), Katie (Kindergarten) & Bethany







Rachel (grade 2), Alyssa (HS Drama) and me in downtown Berlin.












The infamous Checkpoint Charlie... Can you read the sign?








Yup, you got it! The Berlin Wall. Peace.









Below this sewer is the bunker where Hitler committed suicide. After he died, the guards were ordered to burn his body. Things didn't go so well, b/c I guess it takes a few days to completely rid the evidence via burning. The gurads left part of his remains on the lawn, and they were found, analyzed, then dumped into the river Spree. Glamorous, eh?









The Holocaust Jewish Memorial. Notice there is not a drop of graffiti. This is b/c there is a protective coating on each block that allows it to be wiped off with the swipe of your hand. Ironically enough, this protective coating is made by the same company that produced ZyklonB, the gas used in the gas chambers. This was highly controversial to the people here and it was all over the papers. Their defense? They are non profit when selling it for this cause. hmmm..



Check out the names of the places... need I say more? I am certainly in the right city!









The Adlon Hotel...basically next to the Brandenburg Gate. This is where MJ held his baby over the ledge (check your copies of People. I promise!).









The Brandenburg Gate. The US Embassy is just the the left and this is what we had the Texas nuts to ask for relocation of the entire gate! One word... Bush.









Flying in to Tegul Airport, Berlin.












Parched after our flight! I've never been so grateful for H2O!




Katie and I are on our way! We were so excited to begin our journey to Berlin. :)

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

YAY! You are here-- and I am soooooo glad! I love getting to know ya!

Congrats on getting a great apartment-- and thanks for the Tapas invite last night. WAY FUN!

Hugs
VIP gal