Guten Tag!
All is well as we are finally in our new flat in posh Charlottenburg of Berlin! We have been VERY busy doing all of the logistical paperwork needed to begin a life in another country. On top of that, may I mention I am in Germany, where they love paperwork, documentation and order.
Katie and I arrived on August 1st, without luggage, sleep or certainty of what we were getting into. Thankfully, I planned on having the feeling of, "what the hell did I just do with my life?" and was able to field those emotions well with a few beers and a Starbuck's in the Copenhagen airport, where we had missed our first flight out to Berlin by 20 minutes, due to runway traffic at O'Hare! So, we had 6+ hours to fill in between flights.
We have done just about everything possible since we arrived. We took a walking tour of Berlin and saw all of the hot spots, most importantly the Adlon Hotele, where Michael Jackson held his baby over the ledge! Who cares that it's also the Hotel the Russian Army invaded and burnt to a crisp b/c they were partying too hard in the basement! Our tour guide attended Oxford in the academic year, and was quirky, working only for tips.
Did you know? ... The United States actually asked the German Gov't to move the Brandenburg Gate back in 2006 so the US Embassy could have maximum security? Seriously.
We had an interesting tour, complete with a trip to Schlotzky's deli for a sandwich and beer. Please see pics below for a glance at what we saw. I will have many more to follow as time passes!
I went shopping on Kurfurstendamm (dubbed Ku'Damm) today. It's about 5 minutes from my flat, and home to the largest shipping mall in all of Europe! Location, location, location! Many stores are here that I love... this could be a problem!
My flatmates are wonderful. Katie is from Milwaukee and Kathryn is from Liverpool, England. We are having a ball being together, and just got done with our first flatmate dinner tonight... fresh from the outdoor market, of course! The fruits and veggies are phenomenal, and most can be considered organic by US standards. I am having no problems surviving here as a vegetartian, as cased meat is enough to make anyone join me!
Our landlord and his wife visited today to take are of a few things for us. We are so lucky. He delivered our flat screen and sound equipment today, and we will be getting our Bosch washer and dryer on Wednesday. They are also taking care of the curtains for my room! He also owns a hotel in Berlin, where I can perhaps put my guests for a bit of a discount?
The weather has been beautiful... cool at night and warm by day. I've been running, although I saw my first family of wild boars in the forest and have chosen a different route since then. I have been told they seek revenge on those bacon lovers.... I still don't feel very safe! You should see the size of 'em!
There is a lot to share, but I can't begin to tackle it all in one blog posting... that and I know your eyes have closed already at least once. I think the pics will be better to explain, and hopefully give you a taste of a city I am growing to love more everyday.
I hope you're well. Please email anytime. I love hearing from you.
kate
xo
Life is Good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment