Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Settling In

We are settling in to Charlottenburg; finding all of the quirky, artsy and unique boutiques just a stone's throw from our flat. I have already found a local bike shop where I think we will get on well. On top of that, a few boutique owners know my name already "Frau Kennedy," and address me happily when I walk through the door! Uh-oh...

We found a delicious Italian restaurant 3 doors down, atop the fresh veggie and fruit stands I will be stopping at daily for lunches... it's a nice mix...

Katie and I sat outside today at a cafe with vanilla latte machiattos and biscotti. We watched the people for a few hours, and strolled around our little neck of the woods. We found many cool places that we never knew were so close!

I have also been introduced to the Berlin Hash Hares (running group) that meet every Sunday at a pub not far from here. Every major city has a Hash running "club," with the common motto of "drinkers with running problems." Uncle Mike would be proud (and they also have one in Milwaukee!). It's basically a social running club meant for runners of all talent. No pressure. Very cool. I meet with the group for the first time this Sunday. We'll see how it goes...

Things here are settling down. I have offically been registered with the US Embassy, and all paperwork has been submitted and taken care of. I am wokring on my German, although not as vigorously as I maybe should be. My neighbors are very friendly and I am making small conversation with a kind, German woman who lives in the flat above us. She speaks English very well, and has offered to practice English/German with me to expland our vocabularies. This makes me very excited!

Kim and Adina are set to visit from Aug. 16-18... I am so excited to have them here! I am also working on finalizing dates to visit Drew (Moldova) in October during my break. Christmas will be here before we know it!

Tomorrow we are going to "museum island" for free museum night! This, in addition to all of the tours we are set up to participate in, will add to my historical knowledge of a once divided city. I will share facts (& pics) later, as I can't seem to get them up at the moment (all 4,583 of them) (kidding.)...

Auf Weidersehen!
kate xo

1 comment:

The Hill's said...

Hi Kate,
Glad to hear you are settling in to your new surroundings. Looking forward to those pics. Keep in touch.
Aunt DeeDee