Sunday, August 31, 2008

Life is settling in a bit more here, now that school has started and we're busier than ever. I have met my 19, 3rd Graders... they are a lively bunch! I have only 4 native English speakers in my class, with the rest speaking it as their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th language! They are an international bunch that has chalked up experiences most never do by old age.

I wake at 5:30(ish) to catch the 6:30 train into school every morning. As winter approaches and daylight hours dwindle, this will become increasingly more difficult to do with gusto! The trip in is good... I am able to buy a fresh veggie sandwich every morning for 2 Euro, along with a vanilla milchkaffe (milk and coffee), and fresh markets are available to pick from regularly.

My school is really interesting, with underground tunnels running (what they think) all the way to Hitler's underground bunker near the Brandenburg Gate. A majority of the tunnels were bombed in WWII, but a plan to trace them is in the works. The reason for the tunnels? The buildings were used to create weapons for the Nazi's in WWII, and some major, war changing weaponry was produced here. It's only perfect irony that these buildings are now used to educate people from all walks of life, of every nationality on a daily basis. Justice at its finest, eh!?

Please visit my school website at http://www.bbis.de/ to check it out!

Friday night was a BBIS Staff Party at our new boarding school in Kleinmachnow. Let's just suffice it to say that I want to move in! It's perfectly remodeled and is like new, where each child has his/her own space, and shares with another student living there. I can see why we are accumulating many new students who are interested in living there once their parents relocate due to Embassy positions. BBIS is a positive, lively place to be!

All is well here. I will try and post more pics in the near future! We've got some good ones from our Erdinger nights!
Choos!
kate xo

No comments: